- Associated Press - Thursday, September 3, 2015

EVERSON, Wash. (AP) - The Whatcom County medical examiner says two people died in their home near Everson after inhaling gas fumes from a generator during last weekend’s power outage.

The Bellingham Herald says (https://is.gd/m2u3Kf) 82-year-old Anthony Vermeulen and 71-year-old Marilyn Vermeulen were found dead Wednesday evening.

Medical Examiner Gary Goldfogel says autopsies Thursday revealed the couple inhaled gas fumes, most likely carbon monoxide, from a portable generator. The time of death is unclear.

The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office says the family had not heard from them since Sunday or Monday. A relative who checked on the house Wednesday found their bodies. The generator was running outside a cellar door, which was opened slightly.

A windstorm knocked out power to thousands in Western Washington on Saturday. It wasn’t immediately clear when the couple’s power went out or when it was restored.



___

Information from: The Bellingham Herald, https://www.bellinghamherald.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide