- Associated Press - Thursday, September 3, 2015

PHOENIX (AP) - Gov. Doug Ducey wants to ensure the hiring process for a new Kingman private-prison operator is transparent and fair.

The previous operator, Management & Training Corp., was terminated Aug. 26 following a series of riots that caused extensive damage to the prison and forced more than 1,100 inmates to be moved to other facilities.

Ducey’s office told The Arizona Republic (https://bit.ly/1UnxmaS ) the Department of Corrections will take bids for the 3,500-bed facility. The department previously planned to follow its contract with MTC, allowing the company to help choose a new operator without public bids.

But Ducey’s general counsel says MTC won’t have that much control in the process and all potential contractors will be judged objectively.

The state will also seek bids later this month to add 2,000 private-prison beds.



___

Information from: The Arizona Republic, https://www.azcentral.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide