By Associated Press - Tuesday, April 12, 2016

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - The Maine Department of Health and Human Services says it expects to surpass last year’s record number of welfare fraud cases.

WCSH-TV reports (https://on.wcsh6.com/23BeHJF ) the Fraud Investigation and Recovery Unit has several investigators spread through 10 offices across the state. The unit has brought 29 cases for prosecution so far this year, totaling more than $456,000 in theft of state benefits.

Last year, the unit brought 105 cases totaling more than $1.2 million in stolen benefits.

Director of Fraud Operations Tom Roth says cases where a person uses a dead relative’s EBT card are becoming more common.

DHHS says the majority of this year’s cases involve people who didn’t accurately report income or employment to the department when applying for or reviewing their annual benefits cases.



___

Information from: WCSH-TV, https://www.wcsh6.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide