- Associated Press - Tuesday, April 19, 2016

DETROIT (AP) - The U.S. government has agreed to pay $25,000 to a Canadian woman who said she was the victim of an excessive body search by border officers in Detroit.

The civil case went to trial last June, but a jury failed to reach a unanimous verdict. Inside of a second trial, the government and Leslie Ingratta of Windsor, Ontario, settled the case, and a judge closed it last month.

The government says the settlement is not an admission of liability.

Ingratta sued over her treatment at the Detroit-Windsor tunnel in 2011. She says her bare breasts were fondled and her groin was aggressively rubbed outside her clothing by a female officer while another female watched.

At trial, the government said the officers wouldn’t risk their careers with such conduct.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide