- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 20, 2016

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - A former principal at Charlotte Catholic High School has been sentenced to three months in a halfway house for taking more than $160,000 from the school and a related foundation.

The Charlotte Observer reported (https://bit.ly/1WdQ2Zm ) that U.S. District Judge Frank Whitney ignored a recommendation of leniency from prosecutors and defense attorneys for 68-year-old Jerry Healy on Tuesday.

The lawyers had recommended that Haley receive probation, saying he had suffered enough in losing his career and reputation and being banished form the Charlotte Catholic community.

Healy resigned in 2014 after serving as principal for 11 years. He pleaded guilty last year to taking the money over a seven-year period.

Whitney said Healy took the responsibility of public leadership and failed. The judge said Healy did not deserve to go free.

___

Information from: The Charlotte Observer, https://www.charlotteobserver.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide