- The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The family of a 16-year-old girl killed in an alleged assault in the bathroom at a Delaware high school has released a statement condemning scam artists trying to fundraise off the tragedy.

Sophomore Amy Joyner-Francis died from her injuries last week after she was attacked by two other students at Howard High School of Technology in Wilmington, police said. Three students involved in the fight have been suspended but no charges have yet been filed.

In a statement issued via Wilmington Police, Amy’s brother, Anthony Joyner, warned of the “many sick people out in the world who want to gain money and social fame off my family’s loss,” a local ABC News affiliate reported.

Mr. Joyner said he is the only person in his family with a social media account and no one in his family has launched any online fundraisers. He also pointed out that Amy does not have a sister, despite one individual’s claims.

“They are fake pages and accounts are spreading hateful lies, so please do not lose your money or entertain the lies of these cruel people,” he said in the statement, ABC News reported.

Mr. Joyner also thanked the community for “the outpouring of love” and said that anyone wishing to contribute to Amy’s funeral can make donations at the Congo Funeral Home in Wilmington.

An investigation into Amy’s death is ongoing. Wilmington Police Chief Bobby Cummings said charges will be filed in the case, possibly by the end of the week, CBS News reported.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide