- Associated Press - Monday, April 4, 2016

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Albuquerque police on Monday released some of the 911 calls that came in following a deadly shooting at Vietnamese restaurant on the city’s northeast side.

One caller pleaded with the operator to send officers quickly, saying his family was still inside the restaurant and he didn’t know what was happening or what to do. He had run out after the gunfire erupted and borrowed a woman’s phone to call authorities.

“Get over here to the House of Pho immediately. Someone just got shot. Please! Please!” the caller said.

“Someone was standing there and started shooting everyone,” the caller said. “Get over here. You guys have got to get over here. There’s someone walking around with a gun and he’s shooting.”

Officers descended upon the restaurant, inside a strip mall along a busy Albuquerque street, as more than a dozen calls came in around 1:30 p.m. Friday. They arrived to find the owners of the restaurant, brothers Anpha Nguyen, 31, and Jerry Nguyen, 24, dead. Their father was injured.

The suspect was identified Monday as 58-year-old Dung Nguyen, the uncle of the restaurant owners. He fatally shot himself after being pulled over by police not far from the crime scene.

Police spokesman Tanner Tixier said Monday detectives have yet to determine a motive for the shooting.

Among the recordings released by police, emergency operators try to instruct the callers how to provide aid to one of the brothers as people in the background can be heard: “Stay with us, stay with us.”

One of the callers told authorities she was trying to help the victims and took photos of the suspect’s car, a silver hatchback with Nevada license plates. She began to describe the man and the black bag he was carrying before being interrupted.

Another person on the line asks for authorities to hurry up, saying one of the victims was dying.

Other callers were warned by operators to stay away from the restaurant and that officers were on their way.

Police had the strip mall cordoned off for hours Friday as they investigated the deadly shooting. A public high school across the street was temporarily placed on lockdown as a precaution.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide