- Associated Press - Tuesday, April 5, 2016

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Gov. Maggie Hassan apologized Tuesday for not removing a former prep school teacher who has admitted to sexual misconduct from her public supporter list during her 2012 campaign.

Rick Schubart was forced to resign from Phillips Exeter Academy in 2011 after he admitted to the misconduct in the 1970s and ‘80s. Hassan’s husband, Thomas Hassan, was principal of the school at the time.

Maggie Hassan said she sensed something was wrong when Schubart “abruptly” left campus but she didn’t know specifics of his case. The details of Schubart’s departure became publicly known last week when the school alerted alumni.

Hassan listed Schubart as a supporter before and after he left, and she accepted donations from him.

Hassan, a Democrat who is running for the U.S. Senate against Republican incumbent Kelly Ayotte, said she should have reviewed her support list and removed him.

The governor also has donated $1,000 to HAVEN, a member program of the New Hampshire Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, according to Aaron Jacobs, her campaign spokesman.

On March 30, the school alerted alumni that Schubart acknowledged two incidents of misconduct in the 1970s and the 1980s. Although he retired and left campus in 2011, under Thomas Hassan’s tenure, it wasn’t until a report of misconduct surfaced last year that he was stripped of his emeritus status and banned from campus.

Exeter police have said they determined the statute of limitations had expired in both cases. They said the victim who came forward in 2011 was 18 at the time of the misconduct. But police Chief William Shupe announced Tuesday that the police department had received information from the school “detailing multiple allegations of misconduct and abuse” and is at the beginning stages of investigating each allegation.

Thomas Hassan, principal from 2009 to June 2015, said in a written statement issued by Exeter that the school received the 2011 report after he sent an email to the community that year with the goal of encouraging reports of misconduct following cases of sexual abuse at Pennsylvania State and Syracuse universities.

Schubart hasn’t answered phone calls to his home seeking comment. A recording says his message box is full.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide