- Associated Press - Tuesday, April 5, 2016

HAMPTON, N.H. (AP) - Officials in Hampton say replacing a sewer main that broke over the winter could cost taxpayers nearly $2 million more than the estimate Public Works gave selectmen last month.

The Portsmouth Herald reports (https://bit.ly/202DeVU ) Town Manager Fred Welch told the select board Monday that replacing the 4,000-foot force main that runs under the Hampton marsh could cost at least $5 million.

Welch says town officials are working on in-house estimates of costs and designs to replace the main, with firm estimates from outside consultation not available until September.

Public Works Director Chris Jacobs says the pipe is critical to the beach’s sewage system.

A leak was discovered in the pipe in February and was patched last month. Jacobs says the fix should be viewed as only a temporary solution.

___

Information from: Portsmouth Herald, https://www.seacoastonline.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide