- Associated Press - Monday, August 1, 2016

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Fire officials say several residents were forced to jump from second floor windows after a fire broke out at an apartment building in Hartford over the weekend.

Fire Chief Michael Dempsey says crews were called to the scene at the Asylum Village Apartments on Gillett Street at about 7:30 a.m. Sunday. Upon their arrival, firefighters found residents hanging out of their windows to get away from the thick smoke emanating from the structure.

Capt. Raul Ortiz says the blaze sent smoke through all four floors of the building. Fire officials believe the flames originated in a second floor apartment toward the rear of the building.

Three people were hospitalized with minor injuries.

Residents of all but three of the building’s 64 units were permitted to return to their homes.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide