- Associated Press - Thursday, August 11, 2016

SKOWHEGAN, Maine (AP) - Fire officials say a Maine landlord could face jail time for code violations after a July fire that left an apartment building uninhabitable.

Skowhegan Fire Chief Shawn Howard tells The Morning Sentinel (https://bit.ly/2aJKkuA ) that landlord Larry Savage is charged with criminal and civil violations that were present at the two-unit building before the July 20 blaze.

The fire left two families displaced. No injuries were reported.

It was initially believed to be caused by an overheated window fan. But officials say an investigation found that serious life-safety code violations including noncompliant walls and exposed electrical wires prompted a criminal violation of National Fire Protection Association rules.

Savage faces up to six months in jail and fines of up to $1,500. He couldn’t be reached for comment Wednesday.

___

Information from: Morning Sentinel, https://www.onlinesentinel.com/


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide