- Associated Press - Tuesday, August 2, 2016

BERLIN (AP) - The Latest on migration to Europe from Middle East and Africa (all times local):

3:05 p.m.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is accusing the European Union of not upholding its side of an EU-Turkey agreement on migration, saying that promised funds and visa-free travel for Turks to the EU haven’t been delivered.

The agreement earlier this year was instrumental in stemming the flow of people heading from Turkey to nearby Greece, from where they hope to head northward into the European heartland.

Erdogan said Turkey was sheltering 3 million Syrians and Iraqis, yet 3 billion euros ($3.35 billion) promised by the EU had not arrived, and the visa issue had not been settled.

Erdogan said the steps on both sides must be “taken simultaneously.” He said: “You cannot demand the refugee return agreement without fulfilling your obligations. Sorry but we are not a country that you can boss about.”

___

1:45 p.m.

The British government has won a legal appeal against a ruling allowing four Syrians living in a refugee camp in France to join family members in Britain.

In January a U.K. court ruled that three teenagers and a disabled adult should be able to apply for asylum in Britain, despite a law that says refugees must apply in the first safe country they come to. It said the four should be reunited with relatives in Britain on human rights grounds.

On Tuesday three appeals court judges ruled the lower court had not “applied the correct test.”

The four Syrians are already in Britain and the government is not seeking to deport them. But refugee campaigners say the judgment will make it harder for child migrants to be reunited with their families.

___

1:40 p.m.

The International Organization for Migration says the bodies of about 120 migrants have washed up on the Libyan shore in recent days.

A spokesman for the Geneva-based aid agency says the information came from Libyan authorities and the deaths “are not from previously reported shipwrecks in the Mediterranean.”

Joel Millman said Tuesday that 4,027 migrants died worldwide between Jan. 1 and July 31, about three-quarters of them in the Mediterranean.

He says the figure represents a 35 percent increase compared with the same period last year.

___

11:45 a.m.

Germany’s Federal Office for Statistics says some 42,300 unaccompanied minors entered the country from abroad last year.

The office said in a statement Tuesday that this was an increase of 30,700, or 263 percent, compared with the previous year.

About 91 percent, or some 38,700, of these children and teenagers were male, while only about 3,600 girls entered Germany without their parents.

Germany saw an unprecedented influx of migrants in 2015. More than 1 million people registered for asylum, the majority of them from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Unaccompanied refugee children are normally taken into care by the country’s youth welfare offices.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide