- Associated Press - Friday, August 26, 2016

PHOENIX (AP) - The Latest on Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s possible Phoenix visit (all times local):

5:40 p.m.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump says next week’s visit to Phoenix is back on again.

Trump announced in a tweet late Friday afternoon that he’ll be in Phoenix on Wednesday. The message came about an hour after his Arizona campaign director read a statement saying the event planned for the Hyatt Regency hotel in Phoenix had been cancelled.

Trump’s tweet said: “Will be in Phoenix, Arizona on Wednesday. Changing venue to much larger one. Demand is unreal. Polls looking great!”



The event was announced two days ago as a policy speech to a small crowd of 500 invited guests. People close to the campaign touted it as a speech to outline his immigration policy.

Trump for President Arizona campaign director Brian Seitchik then called reporters to reframe the visit as a Republican unity rally.

On Friday, Seitchik read a statement that said it was cancelled. Shortly thereafter, Trump said it was back on.

4:04 p.m.

What was first a planned immigration policy speech by Donald Trump in Phoenix and then a Republican unity rally is now cancelled.

Trump for President Arizona campaign director Brian Seitchik said Friday that next week’s planned visit has been postponed, “but we look forward to having another Arizona event scheduled soon.”

Campaign officials said Wednesday that Trump planned an Aug. 31 visit to Phoenix, with people close to the campaign touting it as a policy speech to outline his immigration policy.

Hours later, Seitchik called reporters to reframe the visit as a Republican unity event timed for the day after Arizona’s primary election. He blamed a “staff error” for the mixed messages.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide