- Associated Press - Monday, December 12, 2016

WASHINGTON (AP) - Fire officials say three people were hospitalized after a carbon monoxide leak at a home.

Media outlets say firefighters and medics were called to the home in the Petworth community on Sunday morning. In a tweet, officials blamed a defective furnace for the leak.

D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Vito Maggiolo says three people were taken to a hospital, but none of them had life-threatening injuries. A fourth person was treated at the scene.

Fire officials say the home was not equipped with a carbon monoxide detector. Maggiolo warns that carbon monoxide incidents are more prevalent in the winter, as residents turn up the heat.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas with potentially lethal effects. Symptoms of exposure include nausea, drowsiness, headaches, lethargy and flu-like symptoms.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide