- Associated Press - Monday, December 12, 2016

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) - Investigators say a fire that killed a 68-year-old Las Cruces woman was accidental and likely caused by electrical overuse.

Las Cruces police say Mary Pavey was found unresponsive and inside the dining area of her home Saturday by firefighters.

She was transported to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Authorities say Pavey lived alone.

City fire investigators believe a space heater near the entryway of the home was improperly plugged into a surge protector that overheated and ignited nearby combustibles.

The fire was contained to the entryway, but smoke permeated throughout the home.

Investigators believe Pavey likely was overcome by smoke.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide