- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 14, 2016

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ten people were hospitalized for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning after a gas leak occurred at a nursing home on Columbus’ Near East Side.

Fire Battalion Chief Steve Martin says firefighters were dispatched to Bryden Place just after 5 p.m. Tuesday following reports that someone was feeling ill.

A medic checked out the sick person at the scene and found a high level of carbon monoxide in their blood. The facility was partially evacuated and at least 10 people showed signs that they were affected by the leak.

The majority of those hospitalized were elderly residents of the home. Several employees also required treatment.

Martin says fire officials believe the leak came from somewhere in the basement. Heating, air conditioning and gas company crews were searching for the source Tuesday night.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide