- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 14, 2016

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The City Council has voted to pay more than $8 million to settle lawsuits with the families of three men who were shot and killed by officers with the Los Angeles Police Department in separate incidents.

Councilmembers voted unanimously Tuesday for the settlements, which the Los Angeles Times says (https://lat.ms/2hBN0BY ) are among the highest paid by the city for deadly police shootings in the last decade.

The total payments come to $8.15 million.

One of the cases was recently settled between the city attorney’s office and the family of Brendon Glenn, a homeless man who was shot and killed last year. The officer said he thought Glenn, who was unarmed, was reaching for his partner’s gun.

The other settlements are for shootings involving Reginald Doucet Jr. and Sergio Navas.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide