- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 14, 2016

NEW YORK (AP) - Officials say a fire at a New York City hospital building under construction was caused by a spark from metal being cut.

The Fire Department of New York says the fire at the NYU Langone Medical Center in Manhattan was brought under control Wednesday afternoon, less than an hour after it began.

It says one civilian suffered minor injuries but did not require hospitalization.

Hospital spokesman Jim Mandler says the fire was at a building that’s scheduled to open in 2018.

Thick black smoke and flames could be seen rising from the roof shortly after the fire erupted around noon.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide