- Associated Press - Friday, December 16, 2016

CENTRAL FALLS, R.I. (AP) - Residents of a neighborhood in Central Falls had to be evacuated amid bitter cold overnight due to a gas leak.

WPRI-TV reports (https://bit.ly/2hCd1kd ) that nearly 30 people had to be evacuated around midnight while crews worked to cap a high-pressure gas leak on the side of an elementary school. Central Falls Fire Chief Robert Bradley said residents could hear an extremely loud whistling sound, almost like a freight train.

Residents were taken to city hall and to an elderly housing complex to stay warm while crews did their work. The wind chill overnight was well below zero.

The work took about 90 minutes, and residents were returned to their homes early Friday.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide