- Associated Press - Friday, December 16, 2016

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - A homeless encampment that has been on state-owned land off Interstate 91 in New Haven for years has been bulldozed.

The New Haven Register reports (https://bit.ly/2hVQMlE ) city workers on Thursday removed truckloads of tents, tarps and personal belongings, then went through the site with bulldozers.

City spokesman Laurence Grotheer said people who were living at the site were given eight days’ notice to leave and all but two or three people living there had been placed in housing as of Wednesday.

Residents said more than a dozen people had been living at the site over the summer.

Grotheer says the city only recently became aware of the camp and removed it because of public health and safety concerns as well as concerns about this week’s cold temperatures.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide