- The Washington Times - Friday, December 23, 2016

Former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani on Friday downplayed rumors that he could eventually replace FBI Director James B. Comey, saying his plan is to stay in the private sector.

“There [will] be a lot of speculation. … I’ll let you know if I change my mind, but I haven’t changed it,” Mr. Giuliani said on Fox Business Network. “I’m staying in the private sector.”

Fox Business reported this week there is speculation within the FBI that Mr. Giuliani could at some point be tapped to replace Mr. Comey, the bureau’s current director.

“I’ll do everything I can to help him from the outside,” Mr. Giuliani said of President-elect Donald Trump. “I’m too happy in my law firm, in my cyber security practice.”

Mr. Giuliani’s name had been in the mix as a possible selection for Mr. Trump’s secretary of state.

But he removed his name from consideration for an administration post on Nov. 29, according to a release sent by the transition team on Dec. 9.

Mr. Comey was confirmed to a 10-year term by the U.S. Senate in 2013, but it is possible for the president to fire people from the position.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide