- Associated Press - Monday, December 5, 2016

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - The Latest on gunfire that left a man and a woman dead in Utah (all times local):

4:25 p.m.

Utah police are identifying a woman killed at a busy shopping center shortly after getting a restraining order, as well as the ex-boyfriend suspected in her death.

American Fork police said Monday that 39-year-old Sue Ann Sands left work to meet with 33-year-old James Dean Smith on Sunday night before shots were fired at her car south of Salt Lake City.

Lt. Gregg Ludlow says she made a frantic 911 call and drove away, but he chased her, rammed her car and fired the fatal shots.

Police say Smith also died after officers confronted him outside a nearby movie theater and fired their weapons, though it’s not clear if he killed himself or was killed by police.

No lawyer was listed for Smith in court records Monday.


9:30 a.m.

Police say a Utah man shot and killed an ex-girlfriend who had a restraining order against him shortly before he died after a confrontation with police.

American Fork police told reporters the man had previously been in a relationship with the woman who died after making a frantic 911 call to police Sunday evening saying someone was shooting at her car.

She was found dead in a Volkswagen Beetle near where police believe the shooting began in Lehi, about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City.

Police say officers found the man a few miles away and fired their weapons when he ignored an order to drop his gun. It is not clear if an officer fired the fatal shot or it was self-inflicted.

Their names were not immediately released.


7 a.m.

Authorities say two people are dead after gunfire erupted Sunday evening near Salt Lake City.

The Utah County Sheriff’s Office says the violence flared as a woman called police to say a man was shooting at her vehicle.

In a series of events still being untangled, KSL-TV reports that officers rushed to the scene near a Wal-Mart store in American Fork and found the woman dead.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Cannon says officers chased the suspect’s vehicle to a movie theater on Main Street.

He says the man refused orders to drop his gun and officers wound up firing shots.

The man was found dead, but it still isn’t clear if he was hit by police or shot himself.

No one else was hurt in the violence in American Fork, about 25 miles south of Salt Lake City.

Investigators are trying to determine what led up to the shooting.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide