- Associated Press - Thursday, February 11, 2016

ABINGDON, Md. (AP) - The Latest on a gunman fatally shooting two sheriff’s deputies and being killed in a shootout (all times local):

8:45 p.m.

Funeral arrangements have been announced for one of two Harford County sheriff’s deputies who were killed in a shootout Wednesday in Abingdon.

The Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company says viewing for Senior Deputy Patrick B. Dailey will take place Monday and Tuesday from 2 to 9 p.m. at Mountain Christian Church in Joppa.

The funeral will be conducted at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the same church.

McComas Funeral Home in Abingdon is handling the arrangements.

Dailey and Senior Deputy Mark Logsdon were killed in a shopping center shootout by David Evans, who was also killed.


5:30 p.m.

A woman who was once married to a man accused of killing two deputies before he was shot by officers says she reported to authorities that her ex-husband was at a restaurant in northeastern Maryland and might harm her family.

David Evans, 68, and Senior Deputies Patrick Dailey and Mark Logsdon were killed Wednesday in the shootings in Abingdon, Maryland. Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler said Evans shot Dailey in the crowded Panera sandwich shop and shot Logsdon after he pursued him. Logsdon and other deputies fired at Evans.

Elizabeth Rupp, 67, of Aberdeen, told The Washington Post (https://wapo.st/1O5wDBI) that she had heard her Evans was in town and had been at Panera. She went to the restaurant several times between December and this week, and was sure Wednesday that it was him.

Rupp left the restaurant and contacted the sheriff’s office about her concern that her family might be in danger, telling a dispatcher she believed Evans was unstable and that he was responsible for a 1998 shooting after which she found a bullet in the hood of her coat. The shooting was reported to police at the time, but Rupp said she hadn’t seen the shooter, and no one was charged. She and Evans had divorced in 1989.

Dailey was dispatched to the restaurant in response to her complaint.

Rupp says, “These officers were courageous and they bought my family’s safety. I am thankful they are dedicated to what they do. I will pray for these officers every day. I feel horrible.”


3 p.m.

Records show one of two slain Harford County sheriff’s deputies served in the Army and National Guard.

Senior Deputy Mark Logsdon reached the rank of staff sergeant, and served in the Army from 1991-1999. Records show he also served in the Maryland Army National Guard from 1999-2006.

He was deployed in Iraq in 2003. He served with military police units in Salisbury, Maryland, and Germany.

Logsdon and Senior Deputy Patrick Dailey were fatally shot by 69-year-old David Evans on Wednesday. Dailey was shot at a crowded restaurant and Logsdon was killed in a shootout with Evans.


1:45 p.m.

Authorities say the man who killed two Harford County sheriff’s deputies in Maryland had a brush with police in Maitland, Florida, last year.

Maitland Deputy Chief Bill McEachnie said Thursday that an officer saw what appeared to be a suspicious car and someone was living out of it.

A police report says Evans appeared nervous but gave an officer his name. While the officer radioed Evans’ name and vehicle tag number to a dispatcher, Evans pulled out of a parking lot with his lights off. The officer pursued him, and Evans at one point made a U-turn and started driving in the wrong direction on the road.

McEachnie says the officer stopped pursuing Evans when he left Maitland’s city limits, in accordance with police policy.

It turned out the vehicle was stolen. The officer filed a request for a warrant on charges of fleeing and eluding officers, reckless driving and resisting an officer without violence. The charge that was ultimately filed was for reckless driving.

Evans died Wednesday in a shootout with Harford deputies.


1 p.m.

A Maryland sheriff is sharing more details about the fatal shootings of two deputies and the gunman who killed them.

Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler said Thursday that Senior Deputy Patrick Dailey went to the restaurant on Wednesday looking for David Evans and had just begun speaking with him, when Evans pulled out a gun and shot him in the head.

He says Evans fled and Senior Deputy Mark Logsdon approached a car where Evans was spotted. He says shots came from the vehicle, striking Logsdon. He says it appears that Logsdon returned fire and other deputies opened fire, killing Evans.

He says Evans legally purchased the gun in Pennsylvania in 1993.

Gahler says he doesn’t think that Evans was targeting law enforcement officers, but instead he took these actions because he faced arrest.


12 p.m.

A Maryland sheriff is identifying two deputies slain by a gunman who was killed in a shootout.

Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler identified them at a news conference Thursday as Senior Deputy Patrick Dailey and Senior Deputy Mark Logsdon.

Gahler says Dailey had served in the Marines and was a 30-year veteran of the agency. He is survived by his mother, girlfriend and two sons. He says Logsdon had been on the force for 16 years and served in the Army. He is survived by his wife, three children and parents.

Gahler says both served on the agency’s honor guard and were proud to wear the uniform. He calls the loss “absolutely devastating.”

Gahler says David Evans, who had warrants for his arrest, fatally shot Dailey in a restaurant Wednesday and killed Logsdon in shootout nearby before he was killed himself.


9 a.m.

The son of a gunman who fatally shot two Maryland sheriff’s deputies before he was killed in a shootout says his father was a heavy drinker with emotional problems, but never spoke poorly of police.

Jeremy Evans told WBAL-TV he believes his father, 68-year-old David Brian Evans, thought he’d spend the rest of his life behind bars and decided to get away.

Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler says David Evans, who had warrants for his arrest, fatally shot a deputy in a restaurant Wednesday and killed another deputy in shootout nearby before he was killed himself.

Jeremy Evans says his mother alerted authorities and left the restaurant where the first shooting occurred before a deputy arrived. He said David Evans shot his mother 20 years ago and she believed he was there to hurt her Wednesday.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More

Click to Hide