By Associated Press - Saturday, February 13, 2016

TOCCOA, Ga. (AP) - State fire investigators have determined a house fire that claimed the lives of two women in northeast Georgia was accidental.

Georgia Department of Insurance spokesman Glenn Allen says 68-year-old Gwendolyn Bohanan and her 39-year-old daughter Amy Bohanan died in a fire that occurred at a doublewide mobile home Friday evening. Allen says the bodies of both victims were discovered in a rear bedroom of the home.

Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says investigators revealed that the fire was the result of an electric space heater being placed too close to a sofa.

Allen says the investigation found that Gwendolyn died while attempting to rescue Bohanan who was immobile following a recent back surgery. Allen says Bohanan’s four children were able to escape the blaze unharmed.

The Stephens County Fire Department and sheriff’s office are still investigating.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide