- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 17, 2016

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) - A newly released report says that a 4-year-old Springfield boy who died in a fire had removed the caps from gasoline containers, possibly because he wanted to fuel up lawnmowers.

The Springfield News-Leader (https://sgfnow.co/1KWl3xT ) reports that the vapor from the gas containers apparently ignited on Jan. 14 when it reached the pilot light on a water heater. Fire Marshal Mike Epps says Bentley Garrison was caught in the flash fire and quickly became unconscious. He eventually died from his injuries.

His father rescued his 1-year-old brother but inhaled smoke while trying to reach Bentley. Two neighbors rushed into the home to help.

Fire Marshal Ben Basham says the department’s best guess is that Bentley was trying to “help” by fueling up lawnmowers that were in the laundry room.

___

Information from: Springfield News-Leader, https://www.news-leader.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide