- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 17, 2016

HONOLULU (AP) - Honolulu Police Chief Louis Kealoha says a major who was arrested for domestic violence in 1994 will not accept a promotion amid ongoing controversy.

Kealoha said in a statement Wednesday that Maj. Ryan Borges has decided to not accept the position of assistant chief. State Sen. Will Espero had criticized the promotion when it was announced, saying it sends the wrong message about how the department views domestic violence.

Kealoha says he still believes Borges would make an excellent assistant chief. However, he says Borges indicated he didn’t want the controversy to continue to be a disruption.

Honolulu prosecutor spokesman Dave Koga has said the 1994 case file had been destroyed because of its age.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide