- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 17, 2016

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - New Hampshire and Concord officials are battling over whether to plow a stretch of state-owned sidewalk along Interstate 393 less than a month after a disabled homeless man was struck and killed by an oncoming vehicle in the road’s shoulder.

The Concord Monitor reports (https://bit.ly/1Kq122U ) neither the state nor the city plan to plow the icy sidewalk that links The Friendly Kitchen and downtown Concord. The interstate is the most direct route; when there’s ice and snow, people often work in the eastbound shoulder next to the curb.

Fifty-two-year-old Gene Parker was traveling along the shoulder in his wheelchair when he was hit and killed last month.

A Transportation Department spokesman says the agency doesn’t maintain sidewalks.

Mayor Jim Bouley says the city would be trespassing on the sidewalk if it tried to maintain it.

___

Information from: Concord Monitor, https://www.cmonitor.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide