- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 17, 2016

LIBERAL, Kan. (AP) - Authorities say one person has died in an apartment fire in southwest Kansas.

The Hutchinson News (https://bit.ly/1PFCyBD ) reports that the fire started early Tuesday in Liberal in a four-unit building. Liberal Fire Department Chief Kelly Kirk says crews found a person sleeping inside a bedroom of a smoky apartment. The person suffered smoke inhalation and died about an hour later at a hospital.

The name of the victim wasn’t immediately released, pending notification of relatives.

Kirk says unattended cooking started the fire. The blaze was contained to the apartment and was extinguished in the kitchen area. The damage is estimated at $30,000.

___

Information from: The Hutchinson (Kan.) News, https://www.hutchnews.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide