By Associated Press - Thursday, February 18, 2016

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - The California Department of Fish and Wildlife has decided to keep the commercial Dungeness season closed until all or part of the coast is clear of the deadly toxin that has been found in some of the crabs.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports (https://sfchron.cl/20Fy8h1 ) Fish and Wildlife Director Charlton Bonham said fears of customers being poisoned by domoic acid outweighed the economic damage to the crabbing industry.

Bonham said that Wednesday’s decision will be reconsidered if state health officials determine that the toxin danger has ended either statewide or south of the Mendocino-Sonoma county line.

The California Department of Health announced last week that recreational fishing for Dungeness crabs was permitted south of Point Reyes. But they advised that diners should remove the guts and cook the crabs by steaming or boiling them and then discard the water used.

___



Information from: The San Francisco Chronicle, https://www.sfgate.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide