- Associated Press - Friday, February 19, 2016

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) - The norovirus has been identified as the gastrointestinal illness that sickened more than 100 students this week at the University of Michigan.

The Ann Arbor News reports (https://bit.ly/1UcxGHq ) Friday that the confirmation was made by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

Where the illness started has not yet been determined.

Norovirus is highly contagious and can cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and fever.

Officials are asking students, faculty and staff to thoroughly wash their hands with soap and water to avoid getting sick.

The newspaper says students also have been urged not to share drinks, and to clean and disinfect surfaces. They also should avoid friends and classmates who show symptoms of the illness.

___

Information from: The Ann Arbor News, https://www.mlive.com/ann-arbor

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide