POLK, Neb. (AP) - A health official says that the death of an eastern Nebraska teen was more likely the result of bacteria called streptococcus pneumoniae rather than bacterial meningitis.
Health Director Teresa Anderson of the Central District Health Department said that testing indicates the presence of streptococcus pneumoniae in the 16-year-old’s blood supply. Anderson said that bacterial meningitis cannot be totally ruled out in the teen’s death.
The Grand Island Independent (https://bit.ly/1PRAIAQ ) reports the teen who died Thursday was a student at High Plains Community Schools in Polk. The student, who was a sophomore, wasn’t identified by officials.
According to Anderson, more than 300 people in Polk and Central City who may have had close contact with the teen were counseled and provided with antibiotics on Friday as a precaution.
Information from: The Grand Island Independent, https://www.theindependent.com
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.