- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 2, 2016

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - The Latest on three inmates who were recaptured after escaping from a California jail (all times local):

11:35 a.m.

A judge has agreed to push back the trial date of one of three violent California inmates who escaped from jail and was on the run for eight days.

Orange County Superior Court Judge Robert R. Fitzgerald on Tuesday moved a pre-trial hearing for 37-year-old Hossein Nayeri to next month.

Nayeri had been scheduled to go to trial on charges of torture and kidnapping on Feb. 23 but Fitzgerald canceled that date.

No new trial date has been set.

Defense attorney Salvatore Ciulla sought the delay on the grounds that the publicity surrounding Nayeri’s Jan. 22 jail escape would taint a jury.

10:45 a.m.

A Marine Corps spokeswoman says one of three inmates who escaped from a California jail had been court martialed for deserting the Marines in 1999.

Spokeswoman Yvonne Carlock said Tuesday that 37-year-old Hossein Nayeri spent 47 days in the brig and received a bad conduct discharge in 2001.

Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens has cited his military record while calling Nayeri the probable mastermind of the Jan. 22 escape.

Nayeri and 20-year-old Jonathan Tieu were captured Saturday in San Francisco after eight days on the run. The other inmate, 43-year-old Bac Duong, surrendered Friday in Santa Ana.

Nayeri also cited his military service to a judge when he was charged in a fatal drunken driving accident in 2005. He was sentenced to less than a year in jail and probation.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide