- Associated Press - Monday, February 22, 2016

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - A state investigation was underway Monday after an Albuquerque man was shot and killed as federal marshals sought to arrest a homicide suspect in a nearby home, authorities said.

New Mexico State Police launched the investigation after 23-year-old Edgar Camacho-Alvarado was killed Saturday at his family’s home. Few details have been released about the incident.

His grandfather Juan Alvarado said Camacho-Alvarado was working on his pickup truck in the driveway when federal authorities arrived and opened fire.

Officers fired two more shots as Camacho-Alvarado reached the trailer’s front stoop while trying to escape the gunfire, his grandfather said.

“For this to happen is outrageous. It was a wrongful death,” said Minnie Mirabal, a family friend speaking as an interpreter for Alvarado. “They didn’t even ask his name before shooting.”

U.S. marshals had gone to the trailer park with an arrest warrant for another man who was wanted in a 2014 homicide case and was arrested hours after Camacho-Alvarado was killed.

Ben Segotta, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshals Service, declined comment, citing the ongoing investigation. State police Sgt. Chad Pierce said information released while the investigation remained active would be limited.

The shooting came amid ongoing scrutiny of shootings by law enforcement in New Mexico, where the ACLU, Hispano Roundtable and other groups have been critical of a high-number of shootings by officers in recent years, especially in Albuquerque.

The Albuquerque Police Department was placed under federal oversight last year and ordered to carry out a series of court-mandated reforms after more than 40 shootings by police since 2010.

Two Albuquerque officers face second-degree murder charges in the shooting death of a homeless man in 2014.

Camacho-Alvarado’s family gathered Monday at the trailer where the shooting occurred, and his grandfather pointed out knicks in a metal screen door that he said were left by bullets. He said Camacho-Alvarado’s mother had rushed out of the house shouting “don’t shoot, don’t shoot.”

Alvarado said through Mirabal that marshals pushed away Camacho-Alvarado’s mother as she tried to reach her son, and no one was allowed near him. The Albuquerque Journal reported that hours passed before Camacho-Alvarado’s body was moved from the scene.

“What they’re upset about is that they didn’t bother calling an ambulance,” Mirabal said. “That hurt more than anything.”

Alvarado said the family was in the process of retaining an attorney to seek answers in the shooting, not financial gain.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide