- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 23, 2016

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) - A deputy prosecutor told jurors that a natural gas explosion in Indianapolis that killed two and devastated a neighborhood was no accident, while a defense attorney argued prosecutors failed to prove his client was involved despite the testimony of 150 witnesses.

The two sides presented closing arguments Tuesday in the trial of 57-year-old Bob Leonard. Prosecutors allege he helped his half brother, Mark Leonard, in a plot to recover $300,000 in insurance money.

Mark Leonard is serving two life sentences after being convicted in July on murder, arson and other charges. Authorities said he was the mastermind behind the plot, which they say also included his girlfriend at the time, Monserrate Shirley, Bob Leonard and two other men.

The jury deliberated for more than an hour Tuesday in the charges against Bob Leonard before being sequestered at a hotel.

Leonard’s attorney, Ted Minch, told jurors on Tuesday that prosecutors failed to prove that his client was at the home on the day of the explosion on Nov. 10, 2012. He also said phone records don’t show that Leonard had any contact with Gary Thompson, an alleged co-conspirator.



Minch also spent much of his two-hour presentation trying to discredit the testimony of Monserrate Shirley, his half brother’s girlfriend who owned the house that exploded. Shirley had the motivation to commit the crime because she was the one with the financial problems, Minch said.

Her cooperation led to charges against two alleged co-conspirators, Glenn Hults and Thompson, who face a joint June trial.

Shirley testified earlier this month that Bob Leonard was brought into the plot after a first attempt to burn down her house failed in October 2012.

She told the court that when she asked him about the explosion that killed her next-door neighbors, he replied: “Oh well, they died. You were in it. You talk, we talk.”

Shirley, who pleaded guilty last year to two conspiracy charges, faces a prison sentence of 20 to 50 years.

Deputy Prosecutor Mark Hollingsworth told jurors the testimony they heard, along with surveillance video and DNA evidence prove that Leonard as involved and told jurors the explosion was no accident.

“This was not a utility malfunction by any means,” Hollingsworth said.

Leonard did not take the witness stand Friday as the defense spent about a half hour presenting testimony after jurors heard 16 days of testimony from prosecution witnesses.

His trial was moved to Fort Wayne due to extensive media coverage in Indianapolis.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide