- Associated Press - Sunday, February 28, 2016

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) - Officials say unexpected contingencies have pushed the construction cost of Las Cruces High School about $10 million over budget.

The Las Cruces Sun-News reports (https://goo.gl/q7UYuS) Las Cruces Public Schools Chief Finance Officer Terry Dean says despite the price the district has cobbled together financial resources to keep construction on schedule.

Officials say several seemingly insignificant policy changes contributed to more than half of the overage on the $84 million project.

The New Mexico Public Schools Facilities Authority reduced the square footage required per student but district officials say that change was made after the project began.

Dean said the district decided to proceed with the construction as designed.

The PSFA pays for 65 percent of projects out of state funding. Districts must pay the remaining 35 percent with money raised through local bonds and levies.


Information from: Las Cruces Sun-News, https://www.lcsun-news.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide