- The Washington Times - Monday, February 29, 2016

Security guards hired to protect actor Jude Law were reportedly attacked and robbed by a gang of migrants during the star’s recent visit to the notorious “Jungle” refugee camp in northern France.

The 43-year-old British actor was in Calais with a film crew and singer Tom Odell to highlight the plight of child refugees who are being evicted from the camp, which is set to be demolished, Mirror Online reported.

Moments after the celebrities had boarded the production team coach to head back to Britain, their security team was ambushed by a group of migrants, the Daily Mail reported.

The attackers reportedly hurled stones at the men before stealing their mobile phones.

“We were shocked to see some of the migrants acting like football hooligans,” an unnamed source told Mirror. “The security team had stones thrown at them and two had phones smashed and stolen.”

Mr. Law was touring the camp, which he has branded as “dangerous,” after calling on the British government to allow children living at the French encampment entry to the U.K. if they have family there.

He was among a group of celebrities which included “Harry Potter” actor Toby Jones and British comedian Shappi Khorsandi, the Daily Mail reported.

Mr. Law said last week: “These are innocent, vulnerable children caught up in red tape with the frightening prospect of the demolition of the Jungle hanging over them.

“David Cameron and the British Government must urgently work with the French authorities to alleviate this humanitarian crisis,” the ” Sherlock Holmes” actor said.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide