- Associated Press - Sunday, February 7, 2016

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) - A Chattanooga Electric Power Board spokesman says an underground wire overheated and caused a fire that blew a manhole cover onto a street.

Media outlets report no injuries were reported in the fire, which forced an intersection to be shut down Saturday afternoon. The fire was put out with a dry chemical fire extinguisher.

EPB spokesman John Pless says no power outages were reported. Electricity was rerouted through other cables. He says repairs were expected to be completed by Sunday.

The cause of the malfunction is under investigation.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide