- Associated Press - Monday, February 8, 2016

WOODBRIDGE, Va. (AP) - Fire crews say a gas leak lead to an explosion at a home in Woodbridge.

The Occoquan-Woodbridge-Lorton Volunteer Fire Department says firefighters were called to the home around 3 p.m. Sunday for a report of an outside gas leak.

Firefighters say when they arrived, they found high levels of gas inside the home. As they left the home, an explosion blew out the home’s windows and a fireball ripped through the basement.

Nearby neighbors were evacuated from their homes as crews checked for gas leaks.

No injuries were reported. The cause of the gas leak is not known at this time

Fire Chief Jim McAllister encourages residents to call 911 if they smell gas in their homes. McAllister says serious injury and even death can occur in a gas-related incident.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide