- Associated Press - Monday, February 8, 2016

NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. (AP) - Officials say smoking was the cause of a fatal fire in North Andover over the weekend that left one person dead.

Acting State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey and North Andover Fire Chief Andrew Melnikas said Monday officials determined the cause of the blaze Saturday afternoon was the improper use or disposal of smoking materials.

They say the fire originated on the living room couch and the victim’s clothing.

A 62-year-old woman who lived in a second-floor unit died. Her name has not been made public.

There were no working smoke alarms in the apartment.

Authorities say an elderly couple safely escaped the fire.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide