- The Washington Times - Monday, January 11, 2016

A CBS News reporter covering a Donald Trump rally in Reno on Sunday claimed a supporter accused him of working for the Islamic State terror group.

“A Trump supporter just asked me at Reno event if I was taking pictures for ISIS,” Sopan Deb tweeted from his verified account. “When I looked shocked, he said, ‘yeah, I’m talking to you.’ “

“The man then repeated the accusation multiple times. I told him, politely, I was with CBS and that what he said was inappropriate,” Mr. Deb recounted. “He said ‘This is America … be glad that you’re here.’ I have a couple guesses what he meant by that.”

“The best part is that the man — an apparent Vietnam vet — started filming me with his cell — as if he really thought I was filming for ISIS,” Mr. Deb wrote. “Also, the man ended the brief conversation with “Have a fine day!” So at least he wished that for me.”

“This isn’t first time this has happened. At last month’s rally in Vegas, man came up to me to say ‘Go back to Iraq!’ I’ve never been!” he added.



Several Twitter users called into question the validity of Mr. Deb’s claims, prompting TV personality Montel Williams to come to his defense.

“Given how many times I’ve seen this from Trumpies I do believe him,” Mr. Williams tweeted, adding that Mr. Deb’s work “is outstanding — he doesn’t need to make this up. He’s already made it.”

Mr. Deb is of South Asian descent and works as a “presidential campaign digital journalist” for CBS News; he has worked at various other outlets, including NBC News and the Boston Globe, The Washington Post reported.

CBS News and the Trump campaign did not respond to The Post’s requests for comment.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide