- Associated Press - Thursday, January 14, 2016

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Authorities say they believe a woman who fell asleep while smoking died in a fire at a senior housing complex in New Jersey’s capital city.

Trenton Fire Director Qareeb Bashir told The Trentonian (https://bit.ly/1Roz7ST ) that it appears the woman’s clothes caught fire after she fell asleep and dropped the cigarette she was smoking after falling out of a wheelchair in a sixth-floor apartment at the Luther Arms building Thursday.

Firefighters put out the blaze with a home fire extinguisher but the woman was already dead in the fire that began around 4:15 p.m.

Fire officials are still investigating whether she died from burns or smoke inhalation.

Nine other residents suffered smoke-related injuries and were treated at the scene.



The victim’s identity wasn’t immediately released.

___

Information from: The (Trenton, N.J.) Trentonian, https://www.trentonian.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide