- Associated Press - Thursday, January 14, 2016

NEW YORK (AP) - Administrators at one of New York City’s most selective public high schools say students are overloading the school’s Wi-Fi by accessing YouTube and Snapchat on their phones.

The New York Times reports (https://nyti.ms/1J48q3s ) that the Bronx High School of Science is booting students off the school’s network.

Cellphones were officially banned in city schools until last year. Many students smuggled phones into school while the ban was in effect, but use of the devices has increased since the rules were changed.

Bronx Science principal Jean Donahue says her school’s network has been struggling under an increasingly technology-heavy curriculum. She says the city Department of Education is working with the school to increase its broadband capacity.

She says student cellphone use doesn’t help.



___

Information from: The New York Times, https://www.nytimes.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide