- Associated Press - Saturday, January 16, 2016

HASTINGS, Minn. (AP) - The former boyfriend of a University of Minnesota student whose body was found dumped along a rural road has admitted guilt in her stabbing death more than two years ago.

Shavelle Oscar Chavez-Nelson, 33, pleaded guilty Friday to second-degree murder in the 2013 death of 20-year-old Anarae Schunk of Burnsville. His trial had been scheduled to begin in just over a week.

In exchange for his guilty plea, Chavez-Nelson is expected to receive a 17-year prison sentence, the Star Tribune (https://strib.mn/1RMGZhz ) reported. He already is serving a life sentence without parole for a fatal shooting outside a Burnsville bar that happened shortly before Schunk was killed.

Schunk’s family supported the plea deal because they didn’t want to go through the pain of a trial, Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom said.

“Once again I wish to express our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Anarae Schunk for their great loss,” Backstrom said in a statement. He said Schunk’s family “had expressed a desire to negate any additional trauma to family and friends that may have resulted from a trial.”

Last year Chavez-Nelson’s girlfriend, 25-year-old Ashley Conrade, pleaded guilty to aiding an offender after the fact and agreed to testify against him.

Authorities believe Schunk was stabbed 22 times with a kitchen knife and killed at Conrade’s Rosemount town house in the early morning of Sept. 22, 2013. Her naked body was found eight days later in a roadside ditch near Lonsdale in Rice County, about 23 miles southwest of Rosemount.

Investigators say Schunk had gone with Chavez-Nelson and Conrade to Nina’s Bar & Grill in Burnsville. At closing time, Chavez-Nelson got into a fight with 23-year-old Palagor Obang Jobi of Savage in the parking lot. Jobi was shot dead. Attorneys for Chavez-Nelson argued the killing was in self-defense, but the jury convicted him in 2014 of first-degree premeditated murder and second-degree intentional murder. He shot Jobi eight times.

After the shooting, the three returned to Conrade’s town house, where Schunk was last seen alive. An autopsy found that Shunk’s throat and key arteries had been cut, and she had defensive wounds on her hands and arms.

Schunk had met Chavez-Nelson at a bus stop in the summer of 2012 and briefly dated. Friends and family say Schunk had reconnected with him in an attempt to recover $5,000 she had loaned him.


Information from: Star Tribune, https://www.startribune.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide