- Associated Press - Sunday, January 24, 2016

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Dozens of people are recovering after they were exposed to carbon monoxide at an East Providence social hall.

Fire officials say they responded Saturday evening to the Holy Ghost Beneficial Brotherhood hall after someone passed out in a bathroom. Officials say their carbon monoxide detectors went off when they arrived.

Nearly 50 people went to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. Four people who had left the social hall called the fire department from home later to report symptoms. About 250 people total attended the event.

None of the victims suffered life-threatening symptoms.

Officials say carbon monoxide levels in the hall were about 300 parts per million, enough to cause headaches and nausea. They say the problem stemmed from a heating appliance in the building.

The incident remains under investigation.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide