- Associated Press - Monday, January 25, 2016

NEWINGTON, N.H. (AP) - Fire officials have determined that a discarded cigarette was the cause of a weekend porch fire that hospitalized a resident with burns in southeastern New Hampshire.

Foster’s Daily Democrat reports (https://bit.ly/1OIR7np ) firefighters responded to the blaze at a home on Little Bay Road in Newington around 5:49 p.m. Saturday.

Assistant Fire Chief Jeffrey LeDuc says a lit cigarette ignited a piece of furniture on the porch of the home and flames began to spread.

LeDuc says a tenant suffered burns on his hands and feet after attempting to put out the fire with an extinguisher. He was taken to Portsmouth Regional Hospital for treatment.

Crews from Portsmouth, Pease, Greenland, Dover and Durham helped Newington firefighters extinguish the blaze in less than an hour.

___

Information from: Foster’s Daily Democrat, https://www.fosters.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide