- Associated Press - Friday, January 29, 2016

CONVENT, La. (AP) - Nucor Corp. has written off $84.1 million worth of engineering and equipment for a proposed $1 billion blast furnace in St. James Parish. But the company says it may still build one.

The blast furnace was part of a massive, multiphase $3.4 billion steel complex Nucor hoped to build in St. James. The Advocate reports (https://bit.ly/1QwY6k5) the state had promised the company $160 million in incentives if all the phases were built.

Nucor already has built the first phase of the project: a $750 million, direct reduced iron plant that employs 170 people.

Company spokeswoman Katherine Miller says the proposed blast furnace design included technology that was current at the time, but there have been advances made since then.

Miller says Nucor will continue to assess all its options.

___

Information from: The Advocate, https://theadvocate.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide