- Associated Press - Saturday, January 30, 2016

BEAUMONT, Texas (AP) - Officials say problems with a boiler gasket caused a carbon monoxide leak at a Southeast Texas school that made at least 145 students and staff sick.

The Beaumont Independent School District says Marshall Middle School remains closed pending a determination Sunday on when it will reopen.

Children and adults at the school started getting sick on Thursday, with emergency personnel transporting the victims to several Beaumont hospitals. The victims were treated and released.

Classes were canceled Friday as school district authorities tried to pinpoint the cause of the boiler leak. A BISD statement Saturday said maintenance crews would work to install a temporary boiler.

___

Online:

https://www.bmtisd.com/pages/BeaumontISD

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide