- Associated Press - Thursday, January 7, 2016

LONG BEACH, Miss. (AP) - Officials say a fire that destroyed a home in Long Beach was accidentally caused by a 3-year-old child.

Harrison County Fire Chief Pat Sullivan tells The Sun Herald (bit.ly/1ONPdoW) that the child was playing with lighter when the fire happened Wednesday afternoon.

Authorities say firefighters arrived after the boy’s father discovered and reported it.

Sullivan says the father managed to retrieve the child and escape the burning home without injury.

Several fire units, along with response units, were called to the scene to help battle the blaze.

Sullivan says the American Red Cross has been called in to assist the family.

___

Information from: The Sun Herald, https://www.sunherald.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide