- Associated Press - Thursday, January 7, 2016

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - The city of Providence has scrapped plans for the construction of a streetcar system after nearly a decade of planning.

The Providence Journal reports (https://bit.ly/1n5xs84 ) Planning Director Bonnie Nickerson confirmed Wednesday that Rhode Island’s capital city will replace the proposed streetcar with an “enhanced bus” line that will shuttle commuters along the same route.

Nickerson says finances were the primary cause for the change. The bus line is expected to cost approximately one-fifth of the streetcar line.

Mayor Jorge Elorza said earlier this year that the streetcar plan never attracted support from state officials

The city’s proposal requests $7 million in state funding to be put toward the $20 million plan. A $13 million federal grant awarded for the streetcar in 2014 will cover the rest of the project’s expenses.

___

Information from: The Providence Journal, https://www.providencejournal.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide