- Associated Press - Friday, January 8, 2016

LISBON, Portugal (AP) - FC Porto fired coach Julen Lopetegui on Friday after a three-game winless streak.

The Portuguese club said in a statement to the Lisbon stock exchange that its board “decided to replace the coaching team led by Julen Lopetegui.” It said the terms of the Spaniard’s departure were being negotiated.

There was no word about a new coach.

The 49-year-old Lopetegui had a contract through 2017 but in almost two years at Porto - Portuguese champion for seven of the past 10 seasons - the team didn’t win a trophy.

Porto was eliminated from the Champions League in the group stage at the end of last year and moved into the Europa League.

The poor results came despite Porto’s relatively heavy outlay on new players last year when it spent 37 million euros ($40 million) - more than double the amount spent by Benfica, the second-highest spender.

Halfway through the Portuguese season, Porto is in second place, four points behind leader Sporting Lisbon.

Porto was Lopetegui’s first spell at a top-flight club, having previously won European titles with Spanish under-19 and under-21 national teams.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide